Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Swinging Sixties and Seventies mini-project introduction





For your final project of the year you will be composing a two page achievement-focused biography on a prominent figure from the 1960s or 1970s.

In order to get you ready for writing the paper, prepare a blog or creative assessment answering TWO of the questions that you must prep for the interview (answer them in first person in a blog, diary entry, video interview or any creative format you like, must be 200 words):

1. What achievements in your life are you most proud of?
2. Identify one decision or experience from your life that you truly regret.
3. If you could meet anyone from history (fact or fiction), who would it be and why?
(Ms. Francis)
4. What are your views on the a) civil rights b) feminist c) anti-war movement?

CITE YOUR SOURCES!!!

Blog due Saturday, 5/31

Paper/ Project Due Tuesday, 6/3

Paper/ Project Requirements:

A biographical blog, paper or creative assessment (poster, scrapbook, powerpoint, etc.) identifying the key achievements and enduring impact of the person you selected - at least 300 words PLUS three works cited in MLA format. (One must be a primary source.)

Additional notes for speed dating are fine.

This will be a project grade so dress the part. (+10!)

Rubric:
Paper will be worth 40%, graphic organizer 30% and blog/ notes for the dates 30%


Choices for your leader include: (YOU MUST SIGN UP ON MY DOOR SO WE DON'T HAVE DOUBLES)

Civil Rights - Martin Luther King, Jr. Ella Baker, Jim Zwerg, Medgar Evers, John Lewis, Fannie Lou Hamer, Angela Davis, Malcolm X, Jo Ann Gibson Robinson, Rosa Parks

Women's Rights - Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, Rachel Carson, Margaret Chase Smith

Political Leaders - John F. Kennedy, Robert "Bobby" Kennedy, "Bull" Connor, Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis, Dwight Eisenhower, Lyndon Johnson, George Wallace, Richard Daley

Latin American and Chicano Rights - Feliepe Luciano, Denise Oliver, Cesar Chavez, David Sanchez

American Indian Movement Leaders- Leonard Peltier, Maxine Hong Kingston

Black Power Leaders- Stokley Carmichael, Hewey P. Newton, Elaine Brown

Counter culture leaders - Abbie Hoffman, Patty Hearst, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell,
Joan Baez, Allen Ginsberg, Tim Leary

Gay Rights Activists - Harvey Milk, Craig Rodwell, Brenda Howard

6 comments:

Ian said...

Ian Murphy
History
Block A

I can honestly say that my life has had its fair share of memorable moments, seeing that it is rather peculiar. As one would probably guess, it is a rather extensive history of ups and downs--there are moments that I can truly say I am proud, and others that I honestly regret. For one, I am proud of attending the CSI High School for International Studies. It has unlocked new doorways for me, and given me so much to live for and think about. Many teachers and staff members are incredibly supportive, and I am able to connect with them in ways I have not been able to do as often in other schools. Of course, I regret ever meeting any of the people who dare to put me down. Due to my Asperger's syndrome, I react to trigger words in such a way that relentless tormenters find it amusing to see. However, they appear unaware that this syndrome gives me a much greater insight to things they could hardly imagine. If these people do not have their way with me, who knows what life will have in store for me? Of course, there are those who truly understand and care about me. With these friends, I am able to overcome obstacles I have never outwitted, and accomplish more for a brighter future.

Conrad said...

Conrad Mallien
A Block
6/1/08
(Mumia Abul Jamal)

My name is Mumia Abul Jamal and the achievement I am most proud of is when I wrote my book "Live from Death Row".It's about the experiences a jail inmate goes through in prison and I hope kids will learn from this and keep themselves out of trouble.If I could meet anyone it would have to be Dr. Huey P. Newton (the late Black Panther Founder), for he is "a brilliant revolutionary, who learned how to pierce the rock-hard psyches of our people -- especially our young brothers and sisters."

Web Source(s):
1.)http://www.discoverthenetworks.org /individualProfile.asp?indid=1330
2.)http://www.terrybisson.com/mumia.html

mikeyydeks said...

Mike Orr
A-block
My name is Rosa Parks, and throughout history I made some decisions that I am relatively proud of. I was sick of being pushed around and being controlled by people who are no better than me. One day I was riding the bus and decided to put my foot down and sit where ever I wanted. A white man came up to me trying to force me out of my seat but I refused to move. Of course I was arrested for my actions but I feel that it had a deep impact on society and hope that things in the future will change with racism. If I can meet anyone from history I would like to meet that person that changes history and gets rid of all racial problems, but who knows I probably will not be alive to see that happen but if I could I would want to meet that person. Well that’s all for know bye.

Samantha said...

I have am known as the lady who is sick and tired of being sick and tired. My name is Fannie Lou Hamer and I am a civil rights activist.
In 1962, when I was 44 years old, I did what I now realize to be a dangerous thing for that time. SNCC volunteers held a voter registration meeting and asked for African Americans to register to vote. I was surprised to learn that African Americans could vote, I was the first to raise my hand when they asked for the volunteers, I later realized that the only thing they could do to me was to kill me, and it seemed like they'd been trying to do that a little bit at a time ever since I could remember. It was dangerous of me to take on this movement, but registering to vote was the beginning of my fight. I was jailed and beaten by the police, but it was worth it, even though I was removed from the plantation I was part of. Afterwards the death threats, and being shot at only made me stronger, I continued to become the SNCC field secretary, which allowed me to travel around the country registering people to vote. But besides all of this, my biggest achievement was co-founding the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party (MFDP).
Civil Rights for all people are so important. I think that all of the powerless African Americans were so powerless, because of their fear of the white people. Just because I and many others have a different skin color, does not mean we can not do the same things as white people.

Chris Morawed said...

I, Jim Zwerg, am a very brave man. during this time many of abolotionists and peopel who did not like slavery, were fighting to stop slavery. i was one of the freedom riders with John Lewis. alongside him in a group we went down to the south. when i arrived i was nearly beatn to death. why? why do you ask was i beaten to death? ill tell you! i was beaten just becasue of the fact that i was on the same bus as black people. i made a stand as i took the beating right there on television. from that day i posed a thought in everyos' head on weather or not it was right to segregate blacks. i put a thought in each persons head making others join me.

Unknown said...

Having a rugged upbringing in Pennsylvania, I credit my mother for introducing me to the world of nature that I later made my lifelong passion.
After completing my education, I joined the U. S. Bureau of Fisheries as the writer of a radio show entitled "Romance under the Waters". There, I was able to explore life under the seas and bring it to listeners. In 1936, after being the first woman to take and pass the civil service test, the Bureau of Fisheries hired me as a full-time junior biologist, and over the next 15 years, I rose in the ranks until I was the chief editor of all publications for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. For these achievements, I am most proud.
I am a feminist marine biologist. I am a supporter of Ecofeminism. This is a social and political movement which attempts to unite environmentalism and feminism.


Ann Morin Youssef
American History